Learning how to code Java is the best first step for anyone looking for a job in the software industry.
Java is one of the most popular programming languages in the world. It was developed by Oracle, but now it’s owned by different companies. Java is one of the first programming languages that became object-oriented. It’s really easy to start learning Java because it has a lot of tutorials and resources.
The language simplifies complex tasks and makes them easy to master even for beginners!
What is Java ?
Java is a computer programming language that is also used to write software. It was originally developed by James Gosling created at Sun Microsystems and it was initially released in 1995.
The Java application programming interface (API) is used to build the Java platform which includes everything from the core language to JVM and java applications.
Java is one of the most popular programming languages we have and Java applications are numerous.
Applications can be classified in four types:
– Desktop Java applications, these are applications that run on a desktop computer.
– Web-based Java application, these are the Java applets that run inside a web browser.
– Mobile Java application: these are apps developed for mobile devices with operating system like Android or iOS.
– Embedded systems such as TV’s, set top boxes, large appliances and others
Types of Java Applications
Java applications are a type of software program that are written in Java and run on the Java virtual machine.
1) Junit: JUnit is a unit testing framework for Java. It is used to test the smallest pieces of code, called “units”. The programmer identifies these units with test methods and provides assertions to specify the expected behavior.
2) Hadoop: Hadoop is an open-source software platform that supports distributed processing of large data sets on computer clusters built from commodity hardware.
3) Eclipse: Eclipse is an integrated development environment (IDE) for developing computer software, especially programs in object-oriented languages such as Java and C++.
Dynamic or Static
Java applications can be dynamic or static. Dynamic Java applications can change during runtime, while static Java applications cannot.
Dynamic Java applications are more useful for building video games and other real time interactive environments, but do not work well for data-driven apps or when large amounts of data need to be sorted. Static Java applications are good for databases because they provide faster processing than dynamic Java apps.
Static: The program code is compiled and linked together at compile-time so the resulting executable code does not change at runtime
Dynamic: The program code is compiled but its behaviour may change during runtime
Java Platform, Enterprise Edition (Java EE) is also a cross-platform runtime environment for running Java enterprise applications. The latest version of the platform is based on the Eclipse Foundation’s GlassFish. It includes an application server and many related components such as JMS and Web Services technologies, XML tools, etc.
Java Platforms / Editions
Java Platforms are the paths that you can use to write Java programs and to run Java applications.
There are three editions of Java Platform available:
1) The Oracle Standard Edition (SE) which is restricted to certain hardware requirements,
2) The Business Edition (BE), and
3) The Enterprise Edition (EE).
Java Platforms are Virtual Machines that have the Java SE platform installed. They are not the same as Java IDEs.
The following Java Platforms / Editions exist:
Update on March 6, 2022 @ 5:27 am